Monday, November 23, 2009

The Danger of the Microwave

Microwaves have become a kitchen staple, useful for making a quick dinner or reheating some leftovers. It's a great way to have a hot meal in an instant, right?

While microwaves may seem relatively harmless, they are actually quite harmful to food. Similar to food irradiation, a microwave sends radioactive waves through food causing a breakdown in composition and a destruction of vital nutrients. Any living enzymes are destroyed, rendering the food "dead".

Microwaves also damage the structure of food and in many cases make healthy food unhealthy. Just like radioactive particles are damaging to the body and its organs, microwaves are damaging to food. Little has been officially studied in regards to the long-term effects of microwaved foods on the body.

The preferred alternative is to use a small toaster or convection oven to gently heat and reheat foods. It takes a little longer but it will preserve the nature and nutritional profile of food, ensuring that you get the maximum nourishment from the foods you eat.

A helpful source:
Microwave Ovens - The Proven Danger


Leah said...

Im not saying I agree with microwaves - I try to avoid them - but this article is heresay. It isnt referenced, include any studies or contain anything other than the author's perosnal opinion. It needs more to be a stronger argument.

Anonymous said...

"a microwave sends radioactive waves..."

Microwaves are not radioactive. Radioactivity is nuclear decay. Microwaves are part of the electromagnetic spectrum, as are ultraviolet, infrared, visible light, and radio waves.